Born in 1999 in Toronto, Ontario, Nicholas began taking piano lessons at a very young age with his grandmother, Arden Broadhurst. He started to sing in the Bach Children's Chorus during grade school, and this sparked his passion for choral music. In Grade 7 Nicholas began his studies at St. Michael's Choir School in downtown Toronto where he developed a love for and knowledge of sacred choral repertoire. During his time at the Choir School, Nicholas also learned to play the pipe organ under the direction of his first organ teacher, Peter Daly.
Having completed his A.R.C.T. in piano by Grade 12, Nicholas' then theory teacher, David Stone, encouraged him to take some composition lessons to continue his development as a musician. Not only did these lessons promote an increase in overall musicianship, but they also caused a lasting fascination for composing and arranging.
After high school, Nicholas continued his studies at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Music, completing a Bachelor's Degree in Organ Performance with a minor in Composition. He studied organ with John Tuttle and composition with Roger Bergs, two fantastic musicians and educators. During his time at U of T, Nicholas worked professionally as an organist, pianist, singer, conductor, composer, arranger, piano tuner, and as an audio and video editor for various musical productions.
Nicholas currently works as the Director of music at the Church of Saint Mary & Saint Martha, as the accompanist for the Toronto Children's Chorus' Training Choirs Anima, Coro, and Toronto Youth Choir, and as a freelance composer and vocalist.
Continue navigating this site for a closer look at some of Nicholas' various musical endeavours!
Some notable experience and achievements:
- Accompanist for the Toronto Children's Chorus (Anima, Coro, and Toronto Youth Choir), 2021-present
- Director of Music at the Church of Saint Mary & Saint Martha, 2022-present
- Interim Music Director at Christ Church Deer Park, 2022
- Organist and director for the Senior Choir at Our Lady of Sorrows Parish in Etobicoke. 2019-2020
- Rehearsal accompanist for the Tallis Choir of Toronto. 2019-2020
- Accompanist for Lorna MacDonald's master's voice pedagogy course at the University of Toronto. 2019-2021
- Founding member of the national award-winning a cappella octet, Octava Vocal Ensemble. 2017-present
- Selected participant in the Ontario Youth Choir. 2018, 2019
- Member of the University of Toronto MacMillan Singers. 2018-2019
- Sunday organist at Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish in Scarborough. 2016-2019
- Organist for the National Catholic Broadcasting Council's televised Daily Mass. 2015-2017
- Two-time recipient of the Royal Conservatory of Music Gold Medal for receiving the highest mark in an organ examination. 2015, 2016
- Performer in the Organix organ festival. 2018, 2022